Thread: So, boxing.
View Single Post
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM       
Imma step in and declare MattJack the winner because the damage is too excessive

On a more serious note though, many of my old coworkers were training for MMA on a local level basis. I learned a lot about it. Like the importance of style diversification, that the better MMA participants spend equal time on striking and submission, and that most MMA participants dislike or don't respect Kimbo Slice. Coolinator, you aren't making any point about MMA that wasn't made about boxing repeatedly over the past 100 years. The difference is MMA has come farther faster than boxing for a myriad of reasons.

1) Regarding safety: As MattJack pointed out, MMA is all about calling a match if it even looks close to a danger for a fighter. But going even further, when MMA started, it was literally mixed, as opposed to a fighter knowing a mix of styles like today. Back in its infancy, UFC would pit a kickboxer against a sumo wrestler. They have since realized doing that sort of "is kung fu better than brazilian fighting" spectacle is unsafe. It took them less than 2 decades to get to the point that they are safer than boxing. (MMA has never had a fatality in the ring)

2) They flat out have better cards: That's right, MMA gets it done when the fans want a specific match. None of this "if you don't get a blood test from a needle that I know you won't do due to your phobia of needles, I won't fight you" crap. In the history of MMA I have only seen one fight the fans wanted that was unable to be put together. Can Boxing say that? It takes years to get a De La Hoya vs. Mayweather fight. It takes weeks to get a Lesner vs. Mir fight. Which brings us to...

3) MMA has a severe lack of promoters mucking up the matches. While Boxing has Don King. (I think that is all that needs to be said about that)

Boxing had its chance to reestablish itself with a Paquio vs. Mayweather fight, and they couldn't even pull that off. Boxing is dying on the vine. MMA is surpassing it because it is everything boxing used to be.