View Single Post
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM       
Listing the Feminine Mystique is pretty darn peculiar. I can see some half ass arguments for most of the other titles though...not that I'd agree with them (or any list that omits The Protocols of the Elders of Zion...and while we're at it, did I blink or did they forget Freud!? ).

I do thnk Kinsey belongs on that list though! #4 is a bit generous, but it deserves inclusion. Why? Because it popularized the idea that a study doesn't need a valid basis to reach conclusions, that data can be collected with an editorial slant without a cohesive explanation, and that society shouldn't judge deviance of any stripe. Kinsey's "there are no bad guys, you have to try it first" approach had a deeper philosphical influence then it's credited for, and at it's core, the topic isn't so much sex as much as behavior, and morals. So now here we are, there's a really bad motion picture about him, Homosexuality is vaguely more acceptable, we're still really repressed though sex is everywhere, there are sex therapists and call in sex advice shows for under age kids... and it's not like we've progressed much at all. The Kinsey report was misleading, and as a result we replaced our sexual ignorance and repression with a different type of ignorance, and repression.