View Single Post

Systemz is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:19 PM       
Fear governs our desire for the sort of safety you're leaving. If you're afraid of what your new situation is gonna bring, I'd hesitate to torch your past to shreds - sometimes it's what we had that sustains us, not what we've got.
Here's a little personal anecdote, straight outta Suburbia - when I was in grade 9 I took a leave of absence from my shitty bakery job to visit my Dad for a couple of months - he lived across the country and I thought it'd be cool to spend my summer out with him. After a while I got pretty tired of sitting on my ass and playing golf so I went out to get a job - and naturally the only job to be had was at the loacl McDonald's. The thing was that my McDicks was unionized (only in Canada) and we were making a serious wage - so I didn't tell them until the day before I was to leave that I was quitting, whereupon I told them this bullshit story about my family moving to Norway. I ended this monologue with me breaking down in front of the manager to garner a little extra sympathy - she was all empathetic and sent me on my way with a smile. So I went back to my shitty bakery job at 8 bucks an hour and then my boss quit and THE MANAGER FROM THE MCDONALDS TOOK HIS PLACE. She moved all the way across the country with her husband and she just happened to find a placement. So I had to make up another bullshit story to keep my job, but she never really trusted me.