Thread: I'm... back
View Single Post
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE View Post
I was also packed off to several psychiatrists, one of which decided to inform my parents (during the initial visit and in front of me) that he was certain I was raped or molested as a child. Thankfully my parents saw that as tactless and uncalled for and went to the rest.

That's actually a disconcertingly common thing to happen with psychiatrists, especially when their patients are young women. It was kind of a fad in the 90's to chalk everything up to rape or molestation and use bullshit techniques like "regression" therapy and hypnosis to conjure up lost or intentionally forgotten memories that millions of young American adults were supposedly suppressing. My guess is that because treating rape cases can't be quickly solved or treated using medication and requires years worth of Freudian psychoanalysis (or so the theory goes.) So, if the psychiatrist could convince you you were raped, he could stand to have you in $50-$100 therapy sessions for a good hunk of your adult life. And there's a certain notoriety that goes along with becoming known for treating rape victims. You and your parents made the right decision. :o