View Single Post
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff The Ninja
Quote:
Fact of the matter is it's based of reasonably old technology and if people see a few mediocre looking screenshots it might do more harm than good for the game's reputation.
Number one. Duke is rumored to be running on a Heavily modified Unreal2 Engine (so heavily modified that they can Accuratly call it the "Duke Nukem Forever" engine. And looking at Some of the graphics produced with Unreal 2, and 3D realms Tendency to make already good looking games look better, DNF is looking to be one of the better looking games if it is released in the near future.
By reasonably old I mean it's not going to be based on, for example, Unreal engine 3. The second incarnation of the engine which DNF uses is a good 4 years old now, admittedly it's still solid and has been heavily modified but that wont hide the fact the game will hardly be cutting edge. I guess only time will tell.
I suppose it's worth noting that HL1, using a modified quake1 engine went head to head with games using far newer tech and won. Heck, I still play DoD today.