View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Most places are prejudiced (either on or off the record) against cancer patients. It sucks. I mean, a healthy couple could adopt a kid and die in a car accident the next day, you know?
I don't mean to preach, but have you looked into foster care? Admittedly, the kids can (and mostly do) have issues ranging from being born to crackheads to being neglected and abused, but sometimes this can fill the gap, and can even in the right circumstances turn permanent. We did that with our daughter (born addicted to various drugs) and are currently fostering two boys who may also become available for adoption.

The hardest part is getting attached, only to have the child taken away - this happened to us too. It's maddening the way decisions are made without benefit of consultation with the foster family. You have to learn to accept and not to react.

As for the health requirements, I'm not sure, but there is a great need for foster parents, so I don't think they'll turn you down flatly (though I've been wrong before).
You may already be there.