View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasted Child View Post
I'm really disappointed that the passengers used violence as a response to the boarding.
Exactly.

What makes me wonder is that the aid workers knew from past experience that there was a high likliehood that they would be boarded by an Israeli patrol boat, helicopter or some such device. That they were in international waters matters diddly-squat - they knew it was coming.

So why mount any resistance at all? If they're truly innocent and blame-free, stand back and let the soldiers do their job. If they're trying to smuggle contraband, screw them - they got what they deserved.

Bottom line - tension is extremely high in the region () and any sort of provocation would be enough to set a single individual to fire a single shot. Then all hell breaks loose.

So. This is a powder-keg looking for a match. Why do it at all - I don't buy the "humanitarian aid" aspect of it, as aid can get through the blockade (albeit slowly). Plus, you probably have more than a few "greenhorn" soldiers who may be a little jumpy/have itchy trigger-fingers. My guess? I'm thinking the volunteers were sabotaged by an individual or individuals who wanted the Israeli soldiers to fire on and kill a few people. For precisely the reasons stated in most of the commentary - to make Israel look like the bully in the schoolyard, and get world sympathy behind Gaza, and by inference, Hamas.

It's very sad - now the people in Gaza have to suffer more, all for the stupidity of a few individuals on the flotilla, and a few too-trigger-happy Israeli soldiers. Plus it sets the political process back months, if not years.

Quote:
But it's still quite interesting...this whole scenario could very well fall back on one of the most honoured and protected american principles - namely the right to protect yourself against trespassing, at virtually any cost.
Doesn't apply here. The US Coast Guard does this all the time, on vessels suspected of trafficking in cocaine or other contraband. If you're approached by a self-identified military vessel and asked to heave-to, you'd better well do it.

Quote:
If this had been another situation, let's say an american non-military vessel on its way to, let's say the Congo, and the ship was suddenly boarded by Angolan coastguard (ok I'm just throwing out stuff here, don't point out if it's unlikely or whatever) noone in their right mind, especially not Americans, would consider it strange or unappropriate or unlawful if the American charity workers used whatever weapons they could find to protect themselves.
Strictly speaking, I'd guess the US Consulate would make provisions for their safe passage long before any incident took place. It's not foolproof, but it does make for slightly easier accessability. And, (I may be wrong) I think this has happened before, where aid workers were turned away, or refused entry, and they had to either go back, or go to a neighboring country. Maybe the recent situation in Myanmar?
You may already be there.