View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM       
i don't think a meal plan is necessary, provided that you eat the protein and starches your body needs in proximity to workouts, and provided your daily calories and macro ratios are in check. then again i'm tremendously used to doing that, so maybe planning it would be easier for a nub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
NEW BRO PLAN:
Spoilers!
disjointed notes on all of that:

stuff like kneeling pushups and inverted rows are replacements for weighted exercises and which you can do at home. i wouldn't ever do those at a gym. i wouldn't bother with dumbbell squats because you'll outgrow them (your ability to grip the dumbbells will fail way before your ability to squat at high weights with dbs) and then you'll have to learn how to do real squats anyway, or if you plan to never do a barbell squat you could just use the leg press machine with similar effects.

the only leg work you have are squats. stuff you're missing in your routine: hamstrings, calves, arms, traps, posterior deltoid (back of shoulder), lateral deltoid (top of shoulder), upper pecs, pec minors, abs, lower abs/hip flexors. that's probably not a problem for a beginner's routine, but if you're going to do a limited beginner's routine you might as well just do Starting Strength. starting strength is just A: squat, bench, chinups; B: squat, overhead press, deadlift. get the program with the DVD from the pirate bay or buy it and learn your form.

for a deadlift to be at the proper height, you either need to use at least one 45-lb plate on each side, or you need to balance the bar on a pair of very low safety rails (this is called a rack pull). the minimum weight on a normal deadlift is therefore 135 lbs (45 + 45 + 45 for the bar).

if you can't do dragon flags, decline weighted situps are good. they work best with a medicine ball and a partner, but you can just as easily hold onto a plate while doing it.

your pre-workout cardio should be done at medium to low intensity, or it will negatively impact your ability to lift. do not sprint to prepare for liftan. the purpose of pre-workout cardio is to move blood to your muscles to prevent injury. the way you can tell when you've done enough is when you feel warm and are sweating. at medium intensity, this usually takes about 7 minutes for me. there is no need to do cardio after your lifts. there is also no need to stretch if you use warm-up sets (you should use warm-up sets). warm-up sets act as functional dynamic stretches. static stretching (holding a pose) has never been proven in a study to reduce injury, and has in fact been proven to increase the likelihood of injury if a stretch is maintained for more than 10 seconds.