Thread: Mid life crisis
View Single Post
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM        Mid life crisis
I am at a treacherous moment in my life. I have finally admitted to myself that the direction I have been going so far has been all wrong, and I must switch tracks now or learn to love what I have.

I am 26, educated in nothing but art. I only have an AA and I've been working as a graphic artist in a small firm for 2.5 years now. And I hate it. I take longer than my coworkers, I get too attached to my work and grudgingly let go in favor of something that pleases the client more, which I have trouble putting my heart into. I'm bored with my work, and I realize I just forced myself into thinking this was what I wanted when I was younger.

I feel like I am aging rapidly, that time is running out and I don't have the option to get a real education anymore. I spend all my spare time learning about and discussing various sciences, philosophy and theology. I seem to love everything but art. Science is a long road, at least 7 years of study, but its what I love most, though I would have to think carefully about what field; maybe chemistry or pharmaceuticals.
But I recently learned that electricians are in high demand lately, and the pay is good and the work is never boring. That is a 5 year road, its hardly a risk as you are not only paid while apprenticing but signed up for the union when you are done and they always finds work for you, and it pays twice what I would ever get as a graphic artist. I would be content.

So I am in a panic, I don't know if this love of the sciences is permanent but there isn't anything I've cared more about in the past couple of years, but admittedly might not be good at after the journey? Or go for what is stable, and probably be perfectly happy with, even if it isn't my dream? Or am I out of time? This has been nagging me for half a year now, and I have to make a decision soon.