Thread: Board games
View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM       
I didn´t look too closely but Ankh Morpork was all over the convention, same as Dungeon Fighter and Power Grid - the first sparks (Funkenschlag - die ersten Funken)...still a funny thing, naming the english version Power Grid whereas Funkenschlag litreally means "Sparks" or "making Sparks"

The secret star of the con seemed to be Panic station by the way. 40mins after opening the con, all copies were gone. Luckily the game will come out in Germany in a few weeks according to the booth-guys.

I took part of the weekend to go through all the stuff I got and so far I´m quite content with my purchases. The only thing that felt or rather read a little lackluster is Dominant species. It seems to be needlessly long and complex for what it tries to do (which is simple modular Area-Control and Worker placement as far as I can tell).

King of Tokyo is, as I said earlier, a simple and very charming game and I imagine it will be a great filler with some of my friends who love playing as monsters and smashing things (they freaking LOVE Conquest of planet Earth).

Blood Bowl is almost as simple as KoT but with a lot more if simple enough rules. Might be hard to find someone who´s digging the theme here but as far as I can tell, I like the gameplay and speed of the game. Almost a filler. And hey, I always like it if I can play Skaven

Now Ares Project while suffering from sub-par components seems to have the biggest potential of the four. It´s complex but not overly complicated, the Factions are similar in their basics but all posess a unique personality, Playtime seems to be adequate for what the game does and is, the Rules are...well, you can really see that the Engelsteins are gamers themselves and as such know how NOT to write rules.
Easy to understand rules is what makes me happy about more complex games and this one has pretty good rulebooks (one corebook and four faction-rulebooks). The thing is, when I read rulebooks, detail-questions pop up in my mind and most of the time, these questions are not answered, at least not in the paragraph or page that brought up the question.
Here, the answer is right next to where the question comes to mind. Kudos for that.

Now the only thing I need to do is try the games out with other people, though I doubt, Dominant Species will see that much playtime :D

By the way, the guy at the Heidelberger booth (they publish a lot of foreign games here along with Pegasus) handed me two Promo-items when I bought King of Tokyo. An earth-Elemental for Battle Lore (never played that one) and an additional Monster for Tokyo, the Brockenbär, basically it´s their company´s Logo (a Bear called the Heidelbär) in a monstrous version, throwing giant dice at buildings and pedestrians :D