View Single Post
Forum Virgin
Hanglyman is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:47 PM       
I'm surprised you gave Silent Hill such a high rating... I thought it was incredibly disappointing. The acting was horrible, the atmosphere was creepy but (in my opinion) nothing like the game, the plot was a mess, and people in the theater, myself included, were laughing at parts of the movie that were supposed to be serious. No Silent Hill movie should be unintentionally funny!

There were a lot of things I liked- the monsters were very true to their game versions, especially the straightjacket guy and Pyramid Head, the janitor was very much in the spirit of the games, and when everything started going all decayed and rusty, transforming right before Harry's... er... what's-her-name's eyes, the movie actually got GOOD for several wonderful minutes. I really liked the whole scene with them being chased by Pyramid Head, trapped in the elevator in the dark world. But the rest of it was just... bad. Burned Cheryl looked hilariously like Odo from Deep Space 9, Lisa Garland looked exactly right but was completely wasted, the husband character was pointless, etc. Even the music let me down a bit, because they used about 5 seconds of the main Silent Hill 1 theme (the mandolin music), then let it trail off immediately for no apparent reason.

I guess maybe my expectations were too high- for a video game movie, it's really, really good. Unfortunately, that's not saying much... I mean, compared to Street Fighter or the Super Mario Brothers movie, pretty much anything looks good. They got some parts completely right, and I enjoyed them, but for me, that just makes the rest of the movie that much more disappointing.