View Single Post
The Mighty One
FistfulOAwesome is probably a spambot
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM       
Nice write-up. Here are my thoughts on what I've seen:

Muramasa- I really appreciate what Vanillaware is trying to do. Their sprites are so absolutely stunning it makes you wish 3D had never been invented. Their stories have a fanciful style to them that makes you wish for the days when every game didn't need to be "Dark and Gritty" (can't anything be gritty without being dark and vise-versa). Still, I don't like the way the games play. Odin Sphere, for all it's charm, is a soul-crushingly repetitive experience that I couldn't beat it. Muramasa sadly looks the same.

What these guys need to do is make the graphics for other games. Their games are prettier to look at than play. They need to team up with a good game studio and make the graphics for them, similar to how Team Ninja is making the graphics for Metroid: Other M.

M:OM- Speaking of this one, I'm unsure. I'm not against a beat-em-up Metroid but the trailer looks so uninspired. I can't be the only one who sees Metroid Gaiden. If I want to play Ninja Gaiden I can pick it up, I don't need Metroid to turn itself into it. Still, it's very early in the games life span so I can't really dislike it. File me under worried.

P.S. I am partially disappointed that it isn't Metroid Dread (V) that was announced. I guess I'm holding that against M:OM. Slightly.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories- I'm hopeful for this one. The "no-attacking" is a risk but it might actually imbue the series with horror again. Plus, I never played the original Silent Hill (though I did see a play-through of it) so if nothing else I get to experience the first game in the series.

Bayonetta- This looks freaking awesome! It's like Devil May Cry 1/3's sense of humor and gameplay bumped to obscene levels. Bayonetta really is a female Dante. Not just because of her taunts or the game she is appearing in but because, like Dante, she is an over-the-top satirazation of action movie hero's. Seriously, these games are what Shoot-Em-Up would be if it was a game.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow- MOTHER-FREAKING PATRICK STEWART!! How the hell did they get him for this!? More than anything else that is a good sign that this game will be good.

On a more serious note, I do like the games focus on blatant Gothic tones. That's been missing from the series since SOTN and it's nice to see it represented again.

I like that the main hero is a MANLY MAN rather than the bishoshen Final Fantasy boys we've had to deal with on the most recent installments.

The whip doesn't get used enough on the series. Except for Order of Eccleasia, I've never loved a Castlevania game that doesn't have the whip. I see it as what separates Castlevania from other games.

Kojima is a great producer so I want to give him a chance. It's certainly better than allowing IGA to make another boring clone of SOTN.

P.S. IGA is so overrated. That guy is great at making these nice little experiences. At making actual games is where he fails. OOE is the only good game he directed (even SOTN isn't that good) because he put some balls in it.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii- I kinda don't like the first one. It's a decently made platformer but it lacks the fantastic level designs of the previous 2D games. The physics seem out of whack (Mario doesn't control nearly as smootly as he does in other games). For my money, Super Mario Galaxy feels more like a true Mario game that NSMB does (and I'm not even talking about the 2D sections). NSMB doesn't have the adventurous spirit and charm of it's predecessors. It feels like a bland repeat.

Umm... That relates to NSMBW because it doesn't look like much has changed.

Super Mario Galaxy 2- AMMMMMMAAAAZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGG!!!