View Single Post
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 02:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranxer
The splices say to me that the speech was just like so many other that he made without a change despite the shootings. NOT a direct falsefication to say a completely different message.
But it was made to be a completely different message, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingfortruth.com
The comment gives a clear impression. It looks like the mayor said "we don't want you here - don't come here" and Heston said "Sorry! This is a free country and I can do whatever I want! -bitch!"

But that's not what happened at all. Not only, as I said above, did the mayor solicit the NRA to come to Denver in the first place - Moore actually put an edit right in the middle of the first sentence, and another at its end! Heston really said (with reference his own WWII vet status):

"I said to the mayor, well, my reply to the mayor is, I volunteered for the war they wanted me to attend when I was 18 years old. Since then, I've run small errands for my country, from Nigeria to Vietnam. I know many of you here in this room could say the same thing."

Moore cuts it after "I said to the Mayor" and attaches a sentence from the end of the next paragraph: "As Americans, we're free to travel wherever we want in our broad land." He hides the deletion by cutting to footage of protestors and a photo of the Mayor before going back and showing Heston.

Moore has Heston then triumphantly announce "Don't come here? We're already here!" to make him look proud of his defiance. Actually, that sentence is clipped from a segment five paragraphs farther on in the speech. Again, Moore uses an editing trick to cover the doctoring, switching to a pan shot of the audience as Heston's (edited) voice continues.

What Heston said there was:

"NRA members are in city hall, Fort Carson, NORAD, the Air Force Academy and the Olympic Training Center. And yes, NRA members are surely among the police and fire and SWAT team heroes who risked their lives to rescue the students at Columbine.

Don't come here? We're already here. This community is our home. Every community in America is our home. We are a 128-year-old fixture of mainstream America. The Second Amendment ethic of lawful, responsible firearm ownership spans the broadest cross section of American life imaginable.

So, we have the same right as all other citizens to be here. To help shoulder the grief and share our sorrow and to offer our respectful, reassured voice to the national discourse that has erupted around this tragedy."

Taken out of context, Heston sounds like a jerk. See what he was really saying, and it starts to make sense. He united instead of divided. Where as the majors comments and Moore's representation saught to make the NRA some foreign freakish organization of flip nut yahoos who aren't welcome past the city walls.
And "from my cold, dead hands," was from a speech several months later.

The convention in Denver, an annual meeting the NRA was required to hold, was 10 days after the massacre. There was not enough time to reschedule it, and in fact, Heston cancelled most of the convention, proceeding with only the meeting on one afternoon. He didn't just show up and say "fuck you, we're going to do what we want." See the deception yet?