View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM        Eating Fast Food Without Getting Fat
I think I'm going to move the fitness & health part of "Sports & Fitness" forum over here. Mostly because no one uses the sports forum, and if they do they aren't especially concerned about their own health.

Anyway, here's something I do when I go to subway: Instead of getting a foot-long sub, I get a 6" sub with double meat and cheese. Reason being, I get the same stuff with half the bread (and therefore half the starches). Here's how it shakes out:

12" chicken breast sub w/ cheese ($5.00)
kcal 827 | fat 23 | carbs 85 | protein 62
(30% kcal from protein)

6" chicken breast sub w/ double meat and cheese (~$5.30)
kcal 577 | fat 18 | carbs 46 | protein 52
(36% kcal from protein)

To compare:
McDonalds Big Mac (~$3)
kcal 590 | fat 34 | carbs 44 | protein 24
(16% kcal from protein)

Doing it my way, the total calorie content of the sandwich is 30% less, with only 16% less protein (and a LOT less carbs and fat). Also, it's a more efficient way to eat protein. Remember that a big mac is 600 kcal, which means that a 12" sub is actually 38% more fattening than a big mac (the big mac has many fewer carbs but a lot more fat. waaaay less protein, though).

The goal of dietary change (not to be confused with dieting) is to increase your protein ratio while eating at maintenance or slightly under maintenance. This makes eating a doubled 6" sub a pretty good fast food choice, all things considered.