View Single Post
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM       
A few days ago, I looked up Rock Opera on Wikipedia, since they are such authorities on it, to see what they had to say about it. Rock Opera, is basically a story, told through music, from the first person perspective, having one or more charcters. A lot of time the characters are named, but it doesn't always have to be so.

There was also mention of metal, kinda sorta qualifying.

To argue FOR metal, The music is usually a lot more technical and some people won't listen to metal because of "that opera singer crap". So, I think, metal shouldn't be so easily dismissed of a genre for Rock Opera.

However, metal or not, if Rock Opera tells a story, through at least one character, in the first person, then these do have to be included.

Residents - "Mark of the Mole" and "GOD in Three Persons"
David Bowie - "Outside"
Almost anything King Diamond has ever done outside of Mercyful Fate.
Voivod - "Dimesion Hatross"

There are those works which are given Rock Opera status, but the main reason I haven't listed them is because I am unfamiliar with them.

The Who - "Tommy"
Jesus Christ Superstar
possibly Pink Floyd - "The Wall" (wiki didn't list them)
Queensryche - "Operation:Mindcrime"

These are all albums where the story is not interupted by extraneous songs such as many of GWAR's releases.

Other suspects of potential Rock Opera may be Rush, King Crimson, Tom Waits, and Helloween. Send me money so I can find out.