View Single Post
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:38 PM       
We got almost as bad in boot camp.

Max, I can appreciate your stance on human rights, I really can in most cases. What I'm at odds with sometimes is your black-and-white conspiracy theories that paint the intelligence community and military as commiters of attrocities against human rights, are always wrong and are with whom never never dealt. Sure this is hyperbole on my part but it's just the way you come across most of the time and it is just not so. Sure, there are a few bad apples and, for the most part, there cases are dealt with in a civilized and suitable manner. You can try your best in the military to do the right thing but, in the end, you still come up with friendly casualties or casualties on the enemy side that were not meant or people acting out that were not anticipated. Some of these may or may not be able to be helped but, I can assure you that most in the intelligence community and military have true conviction in their job and try to do their best even though it's in a situation they may not truly desire . The fact is that we need people that, although somewhat tunnel-visioned and overly patriotic are, at the same time, resolute in their values and belief in their convictions. I need them to stand in the way (as I once did) between THEM and me. Who else is going to do it? You?! You may not believe that some (or most?) of those at GITMO and other places have done harm and would have done future harm but I believe that those that are being detained wrongfully equate to the percentage of sharks caught in tuna nets ... unfortunate but a realistic and necessarily evil percentage in the cost of doing business.

Wherever you go, there you are.