View Single Post
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
So there is a huge population boom of Spanish speaking peoples in a certain fictional town I am making up, after a decade or so the scales of Spanish speakers (those that speak Spanish at home) compared to English speakers are tipped in the Spaniards favour. As a result, more and more Spanish speaking businesses pop up as time goes on, more and more money is being made in the Spanish speaking market as opposed to the English speaking one. There is more support in the form of money towards the Spanish speaking community. Spanish speaking people who are legally American citizens run for... is it called parliament over there? Well they run for that. Local government type shindigs.

The high percentage of Spanish speaking voters get them elected mayor or whatever of hypotheticalville, and one of their first acts is to add Spanish to all road signs in the town because as it stands it takes that extra fraction of a second for most drivers to translate things and that could lead to accidents. For the safety of legal American citizen drivers, the signs are changed to Spanish. Also this town could be YOUR TOWN.
I am alright with that situation. Government by consent of the governed and shit like that are what America was supposedly built on. There are plenty of towns in the southwest and up into Cali that have already done the same. I'm a big fan of majoritarianism, (with a couple provisions to keep the little guy happy, of course.)

Personally, this smacks of white supremacy, this keeping America "pure" nonsense, though it's not just limited to those nutters.

At any rate, it doesn't matter to me. We're all gonna be brown and speaking Mandarin in few centuries, anyway.