View Single Post
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunbb View Post
Ennis doesn't really have a good grasp on the character and the old issues really build up a different character than what he portrays.
Again, I must refer you to that very article you posted about Ennis: He said that Quesada wanted to throw out the extra crap that had been written about the Punisher (if Ennis was serious about there being times where the Punisher was an "agent of heaven... fighting demons and supernatural creatures", well then come on) and just get back to the basics of the character.

And I really don't see anything that would suggest that Ennis has missed any part of the Punisher (at this point, I'm no longer referring to this odd storyline where he kills the Marvel universe). The most basic definition of the Punisher's character is what I posted from wikipedia: that he became a vigilante who kills criminals to get back at the ones that killed his family. From there, as long as the Punisher is portrayed as an ex-military type who uses questionable methods in his war on crime, you've pretty much nailed the character. You can tweak his motivation a little bit and still have virtually the same Punisher.

It's not as if Ennis pulled some stunt where he retconned a big portion of the Punisher's history like with the Spiderman "One More Day" debacle. If he came in and wrote that the Punisher was against the use of firearms, then I would say that he hasn't grasped the character.