View Single Post
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
As for the BCS is concerned, a playoff would be great but the reality is that we don't have one right now. The BCS is what we have to deal with, so "boycotting" the game because the feel good team wasn't in it is ridiculous.
Well and good, but I'll be damned if I participate in giving the BCS championship any ratings when I no longer believe in the system as it is. I will watch the bowl games I think will be good, but if it determines the championship***** (that's one astrisk for each team that deserved a shot at it in the first place kids) I will not bother because it was a total fraud this year. Far too many teams have cause to bitch that they should have had a shot. That is a fundamentally flawed system, and "it's what we got" is a cop out. It will always be "what we got" till we stop looking at it. I think all the complaining doesn't work, but I am willing to bet a 1 share in the TV ratings would get their attention, and more importantly, the attention of the sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
The pressure is on the BCS more and more each year and I can realistically see a playoff forming in the next 5 years. I just do not want to see the current bowl system done away with. I think the top 8 BCS teams should complete in a playoff while the existing bowl system would apply to the rest of the bowl eligible teams. I get frustrated as well as to me it seems like they could so easily implement a playoff system as early as next year, but the old coots are too stuck in their ways.
I agree with all of that except the 8 BCS teams, maybe 6 BCS teams and 2 at large bids from any division for the tourney. Heck the 4 games in the first round could even be the BCS bowls so the tradition stays alive.

Utah deserved a shot, they did everything required of them and even beat Bama into a stupor. It doesn't matter that Bama didn't take them seriously, the fact is if they were as superior to Utah as they thought they were they would have gotten it together and mounted a comeback by the 2nd half, but they didn't because to quote Dennis Green, "They are who we thought they were!"

As for the SEC being the be all/end all of college football quality, they are not. Every freaking season, they schedule cream puffs in preseason, then the 2 best teams smack the tar out of the rest of the league while everyone below the top two beat each other senselessly and that crap circus is mistaken for parity. Honestly, look at the SEC preseason schedule. Their toughest opponents? Hawaii, UCLA, Miami, and Louisville. Are you kidding me? John Cooper's OSU preseason thinks that is a cream puff schedule.