View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 03:46 PM       
Ok, as far as the Berry Blue and Grape varieties are concerned, I decided at the check today that I was concluding the experiment. They're already pretty gross and I think more time would just intensify that.

They seem to have taken the food coloring much better and faster than the cherry ones did, I'll give them that. We've got 100% saturation in about a third of the time.

As far as the taste is concerned, the Berry Blue tasted almost exactly like the blue Cry Baby or Tear Jerker candy. Not horrible, very sour with a fruit aftertaste, not something I'd race to try again.

The Grape brine was somewhat purple, I guess because the majority of the color soaked into the pickles. They were all inky-black. The taste? Well, the taste was pretty freaking horrible. It was definitely more grape-y than the last time I tried some. It was a strong grape taste, but with a bad salty-sour aftertaste. Like you ate something grape and had a vomit-burp, that's what this was like. I took two bites, but I couldn't finish a whole pickle.

The cherry pickle brine had faded a great deal, so I assumed the pickles had absorbed even more:

I got a half Pram Maven of pickles out and lined them up. Note variations in color, pickles that stuck out above the brine level.

I was sure that these would be red all the way through, too, but when I cut them open I was surprised to see that the red still hadn't penetrated too far.

They were good, though. Sweet-and-sour, just like I thought they'd be. I ate two of them with no problem.

Strangely enough, all of the "kool aid pickles" or "koolickles" or whatever they show up as in the news are red. So maybe I'm not the only one who learned the hard way.