Thread: Board games
View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:29 AM       
I think Stone Age can cause the same problem Agricola does: New players don´t realise they´re losing badly until the very end. Still it´s a nice game and 7 Wonders is an absolute favorite around here, mainly because it´s so fast.

Some new additions to my collection:

Dungeoneers: Rather light and fast card-based dungeoncrawl, very streamlined and pretty handy to carry around since it fits in a normal deckbox.

Dungeon Raiders: Even more streamlined and simple but kinda cute in it´s own way because of that. 5 Floors of 5 Rooms each. Your only goal: Grab as much treasure as possible without suffering the most wounds. Players have to play together to beat monsters but everyone has to try to come out on top at the end so you might want to set off that trap that costs the richest player some treasure and stuff like that. Simple filler-fun.

Alien Frontiers: Finally Germany got another batch of those and I even got those little promo-rockets and the mind control helmet-cards as well. I know AF is some kind of hype-game right now but it IS really appealing. Simple and kind of elegant with easy to understand goals and tactics. Partially luck-based because of the dice-rolling but the multiple placement-options negate a big chunk of luck as there´s always something useful you can do with your dice. The Tech-cards add another layer to the game as they allow you to manipulate your dice(ships) and mess with other players. At the same time, the card-mechanic is ballanced out by the fact that other players can steal them and if you want to unleash the more powerful card-effects, you have to get rid of the card and it´s out of the game. Since there are only 2 copies of each card (24 cards total), losing a card can have a major impact on your strategy.
Though the game seems to reward the quick builders, I already saw a game where the last-ranked player really muscleled his way through the ranks on the last 3 turns and won by one point. Pretty cool game, a definite recommendation.