Thread: Board games
View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 08:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
A few acres of snow was just reviewed on the Shut Up Sit Down show. I am going to be getting it soon.
Exactly the reason why I got it, Quinns and Paul have a way of being a great indicator whether a game is fun or not

And even though their representation of the game is not all that accurate, the atomsphere is spot-on. I´ve of course yet to play it with another person but the game is so easy, yet very elegant in it´s design, I´d say almost anyone can play it and have a lot of fun.

Both factions have about the same options but different strenghts. While the English have the superior sea-force and easier troop recruitment, the French are sneaky, great at raiding unfortified english outposts and traversing the inland terrain with ease.

The two-actions-per-turn mechanic gives the players a lot of options but also forces them to think tactically AND strategically since you can play cards into your reserve for later use (though those cards can be vulnerable to enemy ambushes. I think it the English player would not like it at all if he was to start a big Siege for Port royal or maybe Quebec and the French just wastes his Siege Cannons with a single Sapper :D

As you can see, I really really like what I´m seeing in this game. It´s really fast too, I can imagine games of around 40mins as soon as both players know their way around the game

Oh and they even included french and german manuals and info-sheets, very nice of them.