View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM       
Saiorse. (Sair-sha or Seer-sha) If I'd had another daughter, I totally would have named her that. As it was, I went through the entire list of 6 names I'd planned to use :/

You could also have a name as a half-middle name, like in France. People used to have to choose off a list of state-approved names for their kids, no deviation allowed. So people would tack on a hyphenated name to the first name so there would be a little more originality. So instead of there being 25 Maries in a kid's class, there'd be like 12 Marie-Christines, 5 Marie-Claudes, 3 Marie-Bernadettes, 2 Marie-Sophies (Sophie as a middle name is almost universally shortened to "So", as in "Marie-So" or "Ma-so"), a Marie-Charlotte or two, and a Marie-Claire.

My kids were all hyphen-named but that raises eyebrows on this side of the pond so I only actually used first names.

When I was a kid I thought Etienne was a beautiful name and named a doll that before some snickering adult told me it meant Steve