Thread: Chimp attack
View Single Post
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM       
I have experience with chimpanzees. I traveled across Canada caring for a young primate by the name of Milo. Just the two of us in an RV stopping at the occasional rest stop and carnival. We even shared a bunk bed and I changed his diapers.

The differences between a chimpanzee raised and socialized by human beings and a chimp in the wild or even a zoo setting is astronomical. Milo, for all intensive purposes was a human child of about 3 years of age. That said, he was an is an animal who would only mentally progress to a certain point. Furthermore, they are prone to the same psychosis people suffer from and are perhaps even more prone. Add to that their stunted learning and you have the equivalent of a mentally disabled person who can pull your arms off.

Milo, was only a few years old but was as strong as an ox and he knew it too. We would play from time to time and he was very aware of just how much pressure he could apply to my hand. If I said 'ow' or 'no' he listened. It was strange in that he seemed to listen because I was his friend and he generally liked me. I'm sure he also saw me as someone higher up the social ladder too but I never really had to be stern with him.

Still, I always had great respect for the fact that he was an animal with a hell of a lot more natural abilities and fangs. I think the was the difference. I knew what he was capable of and was on alert for any warning signs.