View Single Post
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:38 AM       
I hear ya, I like lots of stuff too, but it seems maybe 2% at most is played on the radio. No, maybe 3-5%, depending on the station(s).

I think I started listening to punk because at the time (1987 or so), a lot of metal that I was into was just getting lame. I hate to say it, but Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time" album. Judas Priest was doing "Turbo", I became more disenchanted with the sol careers of Ozzy and Ronnie James Dio. Then there was the metal that, while wasn't crossover, pointed the way to punk rock. Metallica's "$5.98 EP", Megadeth's "So far, So Good, So What" with the their lame version of "Anarchy In The USA". And Anthrax's "Attack Of The Killer B's" where they did covers of Agent Orange and Discharge. DISCHARGE, MAN!!!!

So, those 3 records turned me on to Sex Pistols, Killing Joke, Misfits, Agent Orange and DISCHARGE!!!!!!

I guess what i'm saying is if a band I like does a cover song, I'll usually go check out the original.

Downloading music is convenient, but I really miss the hunt... Getting your check, cashing it, setting aside money for bills and then hitting the used record store with what's left. Sure, you may want to find this or that, but usually it wasn't there. So, you dig through the stacks and the dollar bin and somehow find at least one thing that's absolutely fucking incredible.

I bought Robert Fripp's "Exposure" for 99 cents. Another find was the first Blind Idiot God album for 2 bucks. Now... I can't even find a store that even sells CD's of stuff I might be interested in. It's all Wal-Mart and Target. Try to find KISS "Dressed To Kill". All you can find are 4 or 5 different "Greatest Hits". Try asking the manager of the Media department if he'll special order Big Black's "Songs About Fucking". Tell 'em you can get it through Touch and Go Records, this is their address and they are usually distributed by such and such.

I'm ranting again, I know. I'd just like to live somewhere where thre's a goddamn record store.