View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 09:03 AM       
From what I've read, there were a couple of random factors that saved Malarchuk's life.

One was the location where he was tending goal...they were able to get him off quickly. They said if he'd been at the other end, he might have died. The other was the fact that the guy who got to him was a Vietnam vet, a medic with combat experience, and didn't hesitate to grab the vein* and keep it pinched until they could get him in a better situation to get it sutured.

He said that he was absolutely sure he was going to die, and he wanted them to get him off the ice so that his mother, who was watching, wouldn't see him die on TV.

*I'm still not 100% clear on whether the injury was venous or arterial, I've read both in different articles.

Last edited by Kitsa : Dec 28th, 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: clarification