View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
b) The term Fundamentalist applied to Islam is a misnomer. We're talking about beliefs which are standard, common, and Koranic, wether or not they await the day when these verses come to light, or take extremist actions to provoke the words of Muhhamed as their duty. A good analysis of this contradiction (which is also relevant to this threads original purpose) can be found here: http://hnn.us/articles/1805.html.
Your article contradicts your assertion that the beliefs are standard and common. "Islam is a religion with a long history and with different theological and juridical schools. The Koran is not really a coherent book able to provide Muslims with clear and unambiguous guidelines." "if we take only the Koran, which is the main source of Islam and which should be the point of convergence between Muslims, it leads us to further confusion about Islam." "Islam is too general, too elusive and too ambiguous"

I think it backs my stated opinions rather well.

Quote:
It also matches the upstanding and peacefull lifestyles that the majority of Muslims wish to continue.
This remark does not seem characteristic of a religion whose fundamentals mandate the murder of nonbelievers, nor of a system which marginalizes progressives. I'd like to think you are correct in that statement. It certainly jives with my very limited experience.

Regarding your seceted reading of the Koran, as I said at the outset, you can quote scripture, and so can I.

"You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion" - (109.6).

Chapter 2, Verse 190: "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."

"Thus, if they let you be, and do not make war on you, and offer you peace, God does not allow you to harm them" (4: 90).

"There must be no coercion in matters of faith!" (2: 256)

Any one of these lines can be, and is quoted by Muslims who condemn the practices of extremists, but just because their voice isn't as loud as the extremists doesn't mean they are talking. Extremists will take violent text out of context and use it as justification for atrocities, but this is a symptom of human powermadness, not of Muslim religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by National Geographic
If people are intent on using religion to motivate terror or violence, they'll find an excuse there no matter what the actual text says," says David Rodier of American University in Washington, D.C., who is an expert on the world's religions. Like the Koran, he says, most holy scriptures are filled with stories of war and warriors, and these images have been used throughout history by some members of every faith to justify bloodshed.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...5_TVkoran.html

This is getting tedious.