View Single Post
1.21 Gigawatts!!!
McFly is probably a spambot
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM       
*** SPOILERS ***

While the fairy-tale aspect of the film seems to be the one most chosen, I view it as purely imagination on the fact of the girl. It first begins with the insect that she believes to be a fairy. The creature only turned into more of a fairy-like creature when shown a picture of it. The fairies friends (who did not see the picture) are immediately shown to be in that state. While it could be debating that the fairy was incognito, it gives the question as to whether it was in the girls’ imagination.

Also, with the mandrake root… Ofelia was the only one that saw it move and hear it scream. While it was a freaky coincidence that the mother died as soon as the mandrake was burned, I think it may be due more to stress. The same goes for the door, as Ofelia seemed to be the only one that could make it magic.

Next is the fact that when Captain Vidal caught up with Ofelia in the end, he saw she was talking to herself. Also, the secret passage way that closed for Vidal seemed to be open once more. While the faun could have just been hidden from different people, only making himself known to the people of his world, it gives to the part on the imagination again.

In the final scene when she is reunited with her mother, it appeared that she was alive in the real world at the same time and the scene ended when she died. I think a lot of her trying to become a princess spawned from wanting to be accepted and escaping the life with Captain Vidal. This can be evident in the fact that even though she fails her second (and debatably third) mission, new exceptions are made to make her feel like she belongs.

Finally, there is the symbolism of the tasks in parallel to the housekeeper Mercedes. The key from the first mission can be represented by the “only key” held by Mercedes. The knife could be represented by the knife used on Captain Vidal. Also, the sacrifice could be the fact that she had to selflessly serve Captain Vidal and family when she was truly for the mercenaries.

*** END SPOILERS ***