View Single Post
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:04 AM       
In a world where the best selling teen series is about "pretty little rich girls with no consequences" (Gossip Girl, It Girl, Clique) and we have to endure crap like the OC and The Hills on TV it really makes you think how much *dumber* the world is getting. Seriously. Or the fact that the sheep have to rush out and buy the newest Oprah book for the soul reason being "It was on Oprah!" You can't tell me what it's about, you can't tell me the title, but you can tell me "It was on Oprah yesterday!" Yeah, that tells me how much you got out of that program. *shakes head* I like stupid humor, but only to an extent. Meet the Spartans? Funny! Yes, it had stupid humor in it, but they knew when to end the joke so you didn't have to "work" on laughing at it after 10 minutes. Things that are just one long "dick and fart joke" after another, not so much, and I can handle that kind of humor. To an extent. If it gets to the point where I'm laughing *at* the movie instead of laughing *because* of the movie, there's something wrong. I read "Vampire Smut" as my boss had dubbed it, but it's not "Swoon swoon woe is me, take me to bed tall dark fanged stranger." It's got humor, action, and some fan your face moments. I'm not 'switching off' to read it because the characters are well developed enough to make me *care* about them. They're not cookie cutter stereotypes of the ideal that we're supposed to portray. I'd rather give one of *those* to someone looking for a good read for their daughter than a copy of Gossip Girl.

I think part of the problem is, we settle, and that lowers the standards. They keep making the shows like that because people settle for them. They let their brains be turned off when they shouldn't even be watching it in the first place. In theory, the only way to stop the crap is to stand against the crap, but like I said, it's just a theory.

And...going to stop babbling now. I'll end with two thoughts:
1. I absolutely positively *refuse* to watch the new Transformers movie. My reason: It's not historically accuate, heh.
2. In the immortal words of Bowling for Soup: When did reality become T.V.? What ever happened to sitcoms, game shows, (on the radio) Springsteen, Madonna, way before Nirvana, there was U2 and Blondie and music still on MTV!