View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM       
One Christmas my grandmother got me a sushi set. Then she insisted I use it immediately to make sushi for her and my grandfather.

I was puzzled about this because I never knew them to be especially open to sushi-style options, particularly seaweed wraps and/or anything raw. But we went out to the Asian grocery and bought sushi rice and wraps, along with pickles and wasabi because I was trying to think of something that would be palatable to them.

So we get home, I make the sushi rice, I make rolls of rice, wasabi, and strips of leftover turkey.

My grandmother picks it apart, dislikes the nori (seaweed wrap). She opines that the sushi would be better if it were wrapped in bologna. And without wasabi.

I make a second set of rolls, rice and turkey wrapped in bologna. As you can imagine, bologna doesn't really stick to itself and makes a shitty sushi wrap. But I aim to please.

My grandmother surveys the floppy bologna-wrapped turkey and rice and pours a liberal amount of turkey gravy over it, then eats it.

She now tells everyone she's had sushi.