View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM        The Gobbler (updated- I HAVE BEEN TO THE GOBBLER!!!!(pics) )
One of my biggest regrets is that I never saw this place while it was standing. I love it. I love it so very much.

The Gobbler

The boyfriend used to work with someone who was a dishwasher back in the day, but alas the place has been razed.

http://gobblermotel.blogspot.com/

Gobble gobble gobble gobble gobble gobble gobble gobble gobbbbbb-lurrrrrrrrr.......gobble gobble gobble!

UPDATE- I was under the impression that the entire thing had been torn down, but it turns out it was just the hotel. The restaurant, in all its Gobbler-y goodness, is closed but still standing. When I learned this, I decided I had to see it. And I sang the gobbler jingle the whole way there.

Apparently, the site is now a regular stop on the police route because of people scavenging for souvenirs. We did have some police circling, but they didn't hassle us. They must have figured I was just one more wingnut skipping around the place for a photo op.

Anyway.

The glimmer of the Gob on the horizon:

By the way, it's for sale...if you have about $3 million.
Don't miss the website...the woman's voice on the virtual tour is oh so sultry.

Here's the grand entryway, which is a bizarre amalgam of petrified wood, cement, and amethyst geodes. Yes, amethyst geodes. Purple is a theme, you see.

The Gob's looking a bit sad these days.

The roof-gravel is making a sly break for it, trying to blend in with the cooler gravel on the ground...

The former dumpster area held a bumper, an empty Polaroid cartridge and a broken-down trolley.

I was able to see far enough into the "employee entrance" to note that the butt-ugly lavender and baby blue railing was still in place...

And if you turn a bit to the left you can just barely peek into the dining room (I tried to see the revolving bar but couldn't)...

This was my absolute favorite part. The lavender furniture! It was STILL THERE!!!!!

If puce-colored pleather and black lava rock floating in concrete don't give you a hankerin' for some turkey, I don't know what will. How has this not been sold already?!?

I have $5 on me. Anyone?

Last edited by Kitsa : May 25th, 2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: updated