View Single Post
Fookin' up planets!
Captain PirateFace is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM       
I have been a Nine Inch Nails fan since I was, well... Nine years old. I am now 27. I still love all that Trent creates. If he put out an album with him humming along to a drum machine I would most likely buy it, praise it and see him do it live on tour. But with all that said, and with Nine Inch Nails still being my all time favorite band, I think he get's too much credit on this album for a sound that a few other amazing artist's already beat him to. Listen to any Richard D. James project... Aphex Twin or AFX or Polygon Window and you have the majority of how "Year Zero" sounds. Yes, the idea is fresh and the lyrics are amazing and it's nice to see the old Rez writing from different character perspectives but as far as sound... the album should have a huge sticker in the back saying.. "Thanks to Richard D. James for teaching me how to do this cool shit." Or, better yet... Give Atticus Ross (A very kick ass producer, mixer and musician in his own right, Check out "12 Rounds" or his kick ass side project "Error" for more on Atticus.. a bit more credit for bringing the Nails music to the next level instead of keeping it in the dirty faded industrial sound that carried "Broken", "The Downward Spiral" and a good half of "The Fragile". I still agree that "Year Zero" is damn good stuff, I just expect a musical genius like Trent Reznor to not just step it up but to kick the damn door down.