View Single Post
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizbenny View Post
Today's writers all write for themselves and their peers. Most comics are not at all kid-friendly in their content. New reader acquisition isn't just a goal, it's snubbed in the face, stabbed in the neck and shat down their throats.
This pisses me off so much, not because I read those kinds of comics, but because of the type of people they cater to. You've got pricks like Frank Miller who, while he can draw muscley men quite well, is an absolute shit writer and he's hearalded as some post-modern great of the industry. I've ranted about this on here before but they take stuff that's for kids, like superheroes, and turn it into something for adults. They don't do this by improving their writing, or the story lines, or character development. They don't change anything. All they do is add profanity, violence and sex and then claim it's for adult readers. It's like reality tv for nerds, catering to the lowest common denominator but I don't really hear a lot of comic people pointing it out. In fact I think Alan Moore might be the only person who has worked in mainstream comics that I distinctly remember expressing something along those lines.

I hate other nerds who read that trash and I hate that much more talented writers get snubbed and have to self publish, go to an independent publisher that no one reads, or just give up and replicate the writing of the mainstream titles. France has comics right, the US is utter shit right now so I appreciate your analogy.