View Single Post
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:00 PM       
Quote:
Does sincerity matter that much? How many artists actually are sincere? How can you even tell?
Sincerity matters to me. Not many. Can't be sure, but honest feeling usually translates well over lyric and music. That's partly the point. Not the case with the music I've heard from LP.

Quote:
SHould music be challenging in regards to ability to play? I admire ability, but i just as much admire overall sound, regardless how it is obtained.
Wasn't talking about technical chops. Was talking about how conventional music is, and in which ways it sets about achieving whatever goal it sets. I appreciate music that doesn't rely on too many genre cliches, that's all. Not saying that everybody must do the same.

Quote:
Thats pretentious bullshit to enjoy something because you have to be in the know.
I didn't suggest needing knowledge. I care for music that doesn't 'dumb it down' for the audience, and I appreciate music that doesn't go out of it's way to be accessible to a large demographic by default. You're reading too much into what I'm saying. LP do have aspirations that I do not approve off, judging by their music and thus are of little interest to me, when not judged by more demanding standards that those of inane pop music. Their lyrics are base and their arrangements hypnotically symplistic. They make me sing along and nod my head, but I sometimes require more of the music I listen to than just that.