View Single Post
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapportioner
A system that gives people the freedom to choose their happiness gives people the freedom to abuse others'. It is only in spite of the system that we have protections against that sort of thing, that we have freedoms protecting the happiness of those who choose not to enter the "enterprise". Therefore capitalism by itself cannot achieve "optimal social happiness".
I did not mean to suggest that capitalism could attain optimal social happiness. I meant to say that it is the system which will come closest.

In addition, you have a very different view of capitalism from me. Tell me, what abuse do you speak of?

Quote:
And there is no reason whatsoever why people who currently take happiness in the form of material wealth could not find happiness by other means. What makes us happy is not set in stone. I repeat: our ideas of what gives us pleasure derive from the societies in which we live, and the circumstances currently surrounding us.
I have a very different view of human nature. I don't believe that it can be changed by culture. Suppressed? Certainly. But suppression rarely increases pleasure.

Quote:
Capitalism is never about optimizing social happiness. It is about making money. It will be able to accomplish the former only when our society has been fully shaped to accept the acquisition of material wealth as religion. Even slaves can learn to be happy.
Invisable hand.