View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM       
So is Republican Senator John Sununu a loose cannon like Sen. McCain, cuz I seem to recall a Republican politician with a similar name who was pretty far right, politically, but I think maybe I'm getting names mixed up.

anyway -
Quote:
Sununu said the most important problem is that the standard of relevance is too broad and that the target of an investigation should be notified. "I believe you should show a connection to a targeted terrorist or a spy" (i.e. not just "relevant" to an investigation) because that's less prone to abuse. He also expressed concern that there is no review of the Section 215 gag order, no way to take it before a judge, no way to have it overturned. "I think taking your case before a judge is the American way and it doesn't threaten law enforcement's ability to do their job to have their case heard."

That idea bothered Sean Hannity so much, he didn't let Sununu finish his sentence before interrupting. "That's not what law enforcement officers say."

"That is NOT true."

Waving pieces of paper like Joe McCarthy and being just as coy about his sources, Hannity's voice rose as he began his attack. "I've spoken to law enforcement, Senator, and that's what they're telling me and this will greatly hinder - and remember you are one of three Republicans who voted against this. So obviously, the majority..."

Sununu cut him off. "Let's talk substance. Numbers don't matter."

Hannity waved the papers at Sununu again and insisted that numbers DO matter because most of his fellow Republicans disagreed with him.

Sununu cut him off again. "How does having a gag-order request heard before a judge undermine an investigation?"

Hannity, using the bullying tone he normally reserves for Democrats, demanded, "Is there or is there not judicial review in the current Patriot Act?"

"Not of the 215 gag order."

I would have thought that even an egoist like Sean Hannity would recognize that the Chairman of the Senate's Foreign Relations Subcommittee on International Operations and Terrorism would probably be more knowledgable about the provisions of the Patriot Act than himself. But he insisted, without citing any source or section of the Act, "There IS judicial review. There IS. You're acting as if there is none."

Sununu's voice rose with obvious annoyance. "Not of the gag order. That is misleading... You cannot have a serious debate if you're going to misstate the facts."

Rather than cite sources, Hannity tried to change the subject. "I'm not misstating the facts. I've read the White House (sic) and they put out a list of actual terror attacks that were prevented because of the Patriot Act that's not going to be re-authorized because of YOU."
http://www.newshounds.us/2005/12/17/...ff_hannity.php