View Single Post
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
Note slipped under a door: we're not all THAT important.
That's one way of looking at it. Scientific fallacies always rest on assumptions, and I sometimes wonder if one day we'll look back on the science we've rested on the idea that we're insignificant and laugh.

The popular assumption that we're "not alone" in the universe is just one possiblity on an equal footing as it's alternatives until actual proof exists. Psychologically, the popular assumption could be considered to be as popular as it is because believing this way makes us feel very safe. It's nice to be just a speck who's actions mean nothing in the universal view.

What if the alternative were true. What if the entire universe had to exist just to support the tiny little part of it that allows our existence? What if our individual actions really do matter? What if we are necessary to the cosmos? What if we are it's purpose?

In science, all alternatives are equal until undisputable proof has been accumulated that proves beyond any doubt that one scenario explains ALL the observed data. You may have a gut reaction that tells you my scenario is wrong, but it's possible that's a product of all the psychological protections you've constructed to help you feel better about your existence.

I like my way better.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!