View Single Post
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM       
Minor twist in the SI story, according to this they may not have all their facts straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
“I’ve raised my son right,” the father told the Advocate late Thursday. “My son has no tattoos. He does not have any drug problems. I have every bit of his memorabilia that he’s ever got from Ohio State.”
The article questions if this claim is true but goes on to say that if it is the SI article's validity is brought into question. 2 different fathers saying these allegations are false though is something worth looking in to.

Further down
Quote:
In an interview with 790 The Zone in Atlanta, Isaac was very vehement in stating that Tressel was unaware of what was going on until Monus was indicted on federal charges, with the issues involving Isaac and other YSU players only seeing the light of day when they came out during the trial.

“Jim Tressel never ever knew anything about our dealings. I kept it secret. To say Coach Tressel knew about this car, or knew about this money, listen, the only way that anyone knew about the money I received from Youngstown State University was Mickey Monus got indicted on $1.1 million worth of embezzlement and fraud. In documents and public record, they found checks that were written to me. … That’s the only way that this situation came to light. … Other than that, no one in the history of the world would have known the Mickey Monus paid me a dime.”
While I tend to not want to believe this guy because he has a rep of a dishonest person, there's always the possibility he is telling the truth in this case, but that opens a whole separate can of worms because then it goes even further than the athletic department

Quote:
Isaac wasn’t the only person to refer to at least a portion of the piece as a lie. Now-retired Youngstown State University president Leslie Cochran told the Youngstown Vindicator that a quote attributed to him in the SI article was, in his words, “fabricated“.

“I never said that,” Cochrane told the Vindicator; “He absolutely said it. Not sure what more we can say,” Epstein wrote on Twitter when apprised of Cochran’s denial.
This is a case of he said/he said (paraphrase), and it will be impossible to sort this one out I think.

Bottom line is if this is true and SI fabricated some of the facts for this article, it will result in a shitstorm where those like me who have maintained the media has favorites in sports and those darling schools get a blind eye turned on their wrongdoing while Big 10 schools get put under a constant microscopic surveillance, will be out in force because this would put a piece of valid proof that our theory is correct out there.