Thread: Science!
View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM       

Well, here's the thing. My high school chemistry teacher was the sort of person who was just universally hated. I actually heard this story from another teacher, when I was a student:

One day he bought a case of soda, and one can had a leak. Instead of dealing with it like a normal human being (going without one can of soda, or taking it back to the store and exchanging it), he decided that he was going to write up a big report to send to the company. He actually filled a binder with statistics on how much soda was lost, in fluid volume, how much of the aluminum was compromised, what percentage of the cardboard was soaked, how many sodas he might have lost if the carton gave way, and so on. He included cost projections for different amounts of money they might owe him based on which scenario might have happened. He was so proud of this "report" that he took it around to all the other teachers, bragging about it. Naturally, everyone's reaction was "what a stupid asshole". I don't know what happened with the report, but the teacher told me that everyone hated him after that.

Imagine the Comic Book Store Guy from the Simpsons, only more vicious and a much bigger asshole.

So when I got to his class, I didn't know about any of that, but he gave me plenty of other reasons to hate him. Most of his lectures were about people he'd outsmarted and how brilliant he was. He was beachball-shaped, with fish lips and glassy eyes, and he'd just stare at you creepily. He gave a classmate of mine a gratuitous minus on her grade because of her emergency appendectomy- she didn't "care enough to come to class", then he went on vacation to Antarctica for two weeks. (Those two weeks were glorious.)

So midterm time came, and I can't remember what my grade was...something like a B, all my As were in Bio and Geo. I was doing okay. I finished the test early, and since he had a rule against turning in your paper before the end of class I doodled on the scrap paper, having nothing better to do. He swooped down on me and took my paper away, telling me that I should be re-checking my answers again and not doodling, and that I had just failed the exam. And he kicked me out for the rest of class. I'd never heard this rule about doodling before.

I couldn't just wander the hallways, so I went to the office and asked to speak to the principal. I gave him a little rundown of various events leading up to this and what had just happened on the midterm, including his promise that I'd have an automatic F and kicking me out of class. The principal asked if I'd drawn something obscene...I hadn't, I think it was a monkey hanging from the top of the page or something. The principal said he'd try to sort it out and in the meantime just go back to class on Monday.

So I did, and we got our grade reports, and suddenly I had an F not only for the midterm but for the entire semester. I went back to the principal and showed him my grade report, and an earlier grade report with my B. He just sighed and said, "You know, with him you're not going to win this. He'll just stay on you now. You're better off dropping the class."

I wanted to get into a good science program in college and I was PISSED about this. Administration got me out of Chem and into a stagecraft class, which in our school was filled with people who couldn't be trusted to sit still in study hall. Mostly I swept the stage over and over while the other kids jerked off in the wood-glue and stuff like that. I was seething the entire time, thinking about how I'd essentially been drummed out of Chem for drawing on my scrap paper.

So to get even with this guy, I started drawing pictures of him, and circulating them anonymously. I'm not proud of that, it wasn't very respectful, but the picture thing got bigger and bigger and bigger. They were popular with the other teachers. Mostly they made fun of his smugness and/or rotund physique. I did one of him rampaging Tokyo, one of him doing a flamenco with the ruffly dress and flies buzzing under his armpits, and one called "in repose", which was his tubby silhouette against a sunset.

Everyone knew it was me, and the other teachers should have been stopping me, but they encouraged me instead. I mean, everyone hated this guy. Teachers were actually requesting scenarios to hang up in their department lounges, and I was so pissed that I was happy to oblige. Someone even tried to photocopy one to slip into the commencement brochures that June.

I burned my bridges good, I'm sure, but by that point I was out and didn't care. No one gives a shit in college and my science performance there was just fine.

Every once in a while when I'm going through old papers, a picture of the guy as the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man or something like that pops up.