View Single Post
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:12 PM       
Admittedly I just skimmed some of the responses after the intial opening, so if I am repeating someone, I'm just an idiot.

The reason, I believe, why Turkey requested such an absurd amount, was an effort to soothe the ruffled feathers of both the US, whom has always maintained a tight relationship (equally beneficial, though in no ways EQUALLY beneficial, if you take my meaning) and their Middle Eastern neighbours whom dislike the idea of US presence - Nor should we forget any possibly terrorist strikes which their full cooperation may result in.

I believe they very much wish to aide us, but do not feel that they can publically, or even privately, take such a stance in such a volatile region.

By asking for the money, they can tell their neighbours "Look, it was an unrealistic figure, and they would never pay it." And to the Americans "Hey, we offered. You just didn't want to cough up the dough"

While on a Politically Saavy scale, this rates about a three, its not a bad manoeuvre all said and done.