View Single Post

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM       
"I cannot think of a political perspctive tht would make an alliance with Turkey worth the convenience of using their land."

Man, I really need to learn how to do those cool little quotation text box thingees.

Anyway, Max, I agree. There is no rational political reason as to why the alliance is worth it. But the use of their land is vitally important. From a strategic standpoint, the use of Turkey, particularly in the southeast, dramatically facilitates a military campaign.

Not being able to use southeastern turkey (I'm pretty sure they won't be oppossed to allowing us access through Incirlik) completely changes the logistics of the ground campagin, and forces a less desiralbe plan of action.

It is my guess that we have pandered to the Turks so extensively for no other reason than their geopgraphy. The lack of Turkish airbases effectively limits the amount of air power the USAF will be able to use. The air power it will be able to mobolize will require much greater logistical support in a tactical sense just to get to and from the target area. At least initially, the Turks decision shifts the bulk of the air campaign responsibility from the Air Force to the Navy.