View Single Post
Forum Virgin
HunterRose is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM       
I understand that, at the moment though my mind is kinda turned to mush after reading ten books in a row before they were due back in the library.

EDIT: I'll just use the wiki entry part
Quote:
Originally Posted by They Might Be Giants Name
The band takes its name from the 1971 movie They Might Be Giants starring George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward (based on the play of the same name written by James Goldman). The play (and movie) title is an allusion to Don Quixote, who mistook windmills for giants. George C. Scott's character discusses man's ability to invent and analyze past the obvious, saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by They Might Be Giants (movie)
Of course, [Quixote] carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes.
According to John Flansburgh, the name had been used and subsequently discarded by a friend of the band who had a ventriloquism act. The name was then adopted by the band who had been searching for a suitable name.

A common misconception is that the name of the band is a reference to themselves and an allusion to future success. In an interview John Flansburgh said (paraphrasing) that the words "they might be giants" are just a very outward-looking forward thing which they liked. He clarified this in the documentary movie Gigantic by explaining that the name refers to the outside world of possibilities that they saw as a fledgling band. In an earlier radio interview, John Linnell described the phrase as "something very paranoid sounding".[14]

The band's name is parodied in Terry Pratchett's novel Soul Music by the dwarf "rock band", "We're Certainly Dwarfs". Pratchett has repeatedly stated they are his favorite band.

Tell the moon you've seen the serpent, Found the sword and walked among the Trees