View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM        Question about upgrading an old HP
I'm upgrading my dad's computer at work, which takes both PC100 and PC133 SDRAM, 512MB max, 256MB max per slot. It's an HP Pavilion 8755C (here are the specs).

When I put both of the new 256MB PC133 SDRAM chips in, the computer will make a click noise and reboot as soon as the Windows XP loading screen would normally appear (I assume this is the first time the computer tries to access the RAM in earnest). When I put only one of EITHER chip in, in EITHER slot, the computer will boot up normally. Therefore, the memory sticks themselves are working properly, and so are the ram slots on the motherboard.

The BIOS can detect both RAM chips when they're in, displaying the totaled 512MB, and there doesn't appear to be a problem until Windows XP loads. No incarnation of Safe Mode works. So for now, he has to use only one of the 256MB PC133 chips.

The computer came with one 128MB PC100 SDRAM chip back when the PC was purchased. It was removed to make way for these new chips.

Does it make sense that the computer can only handle one of the PC133s? Should we have gotten two PC100s instead? It doesn't seem to make any sense, and the specs clearly state that it can take the PC133 ram.