Thread: 21 minute song
View Single Post
aka Don Henley
Bobo Adobo is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 12:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm

Again, before we discuss this further, just so we're in the same ballpark, go and download Cryptopsy's song 'Voice of Unreason'. Then come back with a renewed perspective of how amazingly demanding this sort of playing is compared to most jazz 'shuffle shuffle kick kick cymbal' players.
I went to the Cryptopsy website and listened to the files they had there. Besides that, my nieghbor listens to some of the bands mentioned on this forum(like Opeth err Orbituary err something). Intense drumming, and of course I can see how physically demanding metal drumming can be. But I guess I really don't see the talent in being able to constantly play rediculously fast.

But anyways, I see your point on Jazz drumming, but the thing about Jazz drumming is that there is no real generic style. I suggest you listen to Louie Bellson, the swing drummer who pretty much invented the use of double bass, Or Billy Martin(Medeski, Martin, & Wood), or even more popular modern drummers like Stewart Copeland and Ginger Baker, who tend to use more jazzy rooted styles.