View Single Post
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:42 PM       
Abcdxxxx- I have not read the Torah for I am not an Orthidox Jew. I'm not a Jew at all for that matter. I know that the Jewish people believe that it is important to read the original translation, but I do not. But I will believe everything you say about it. (Just don't go on and on about your belief system and expect me to know what you are talking about.) After reading through everything you have said I am pretty sure that my personal position is not too terribly far off from mine though (If you exclude the obvious one's of course).

Let me comment about your thinking that every Torah is exactly the same though: Yes, you are right about that, today maybe. But when all there was to tranfer with was the lambskin and ink human error was destined to alter it. Alter it many times. Someone misses a word, so the next person fills it in. A mistake with spelling could be one of a few words. Soooo, the closer you get down the line to the original copy you get, the more accurate your book becomes. And the Old Testement (Torah) didn't come as one large work. No, it was put together from many different one's, and that leaves even more room for faulties. You really can't deny this (we mess things up). I am sure it is very accurate today though.

You are right about translation mix ups. But I have always been referring to the Bible. You seem to keep thinking I am talking about the Torah. I have never read the Greek version of the Torah or the Old Testement. The Greek version of the Old Testament is called the Septuagint. The Greek version of the new Testement is simply called "The Greek Bible." So when I talk about the Greek Bible that is what I have been talking about. I personally think that in today the New Testament is much more important than the Old. But I may seek to read the Torah someday now if I feel the urge to go through that much trouble.

I love to learn different perpectives of the same view though. But what we both seem to be saying is that older is better. I would like to talk about the Torah with you sometime in a easier setting.