View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 04:30 PM       
"I never said we don't need regulation;"
-You

"An unregulated economy, yes. Save one issue."
-You

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were speciffically and only refering to regulations on Business. I think the two are inextricably linked, but what the hell.

Child labor in this country certainly didn't use to be a joke. And a child's 'right to refusal', which they didn't have then, would scarcely have helped when the alternative was going hungry because wages were so low. Minimum wage used to ensure a family could stay ahead, but hey, that's one a them ding dang regulations. Kind of like child labor laws. Huh. That might be my point.

I think Globalization could help developing nations, but not without, what now? Regulation. Otherwise there is nothing to stop it from being a race to the bottom. In a Global economy, give me one reason not to use the cheapest labor force. I'm sure eventully you'll find a country willing to make it's population work for nothing but food. Oh, wait, we already give most favored trading status to countries that already do that. It's not a question of not understanding, lil johnny arrogant, it's called disagreeing.

"begging in the streets, engaging in prostitution and other crimes, or doing hard labor."
If you're going to quote things you ought to source them.

" They did not stop working because they could not stop working. "
You're kidding! Didn't they have a right to refuse to work?

"But wait!!! If farmers were allowed to grow all of their crops, they could *GASP* export some of their food at lower prices to foreign countries!!! That means that mommy and daddy might be able to to provide more for their families, and that their son might not have to give out blowjobs on the streets!!! Amazing how a lack of regulation helped everyone, isn't it?"

Multiple !!! frenzies, as was my original point, lead to not stating what country you're talking about, who's farmers, what regulations and which blowjobs. I'm sure none of that means a gut embrace of polemic on your part, but it doesn't enspire confidence in your argument either. Don't Vinth out.

Your direct link between liberal pressure and sexual exploitation is also Vinthonian. If you have a source for this belief, state it. All nations have appalling, reprehensible sex trade. The statistical links between numbers of people, conditions, and the rise and fall of employment in these fields as compared to prevailing wage laws are currently undocumented. Besides, here too there is freedom of choice. In the recently Liberated Afghanistan, those forced out of work go into unregulated poppy cultivation. In South America, they often prefer unregulated Coca farming.

When you, One and the Same have worked... well, when you've worked, it might make me take your views on workplace regulation somewhat more seriously. And when you've worked in the third world, I will assume that your opinions might have some element of compassion in them as opposed to dogmatism.