Thread: Science!
View Single Post
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Taking Tadao's implicit advice ...
With all due respect, you say you are not interested in physics, only in the universe, but to really understand and study the universe, you first will need to master basic and advanced physics. Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics all are precursor courses to Astrophysics. I know that you want what you want, but in order to study effectively you need the foundation first.
well sir, I did not say or intend to imply that I was not interested in physics, because I am very much so. I am going to become an astronomer, not an astrophysicist, but I'm used to saying 'astrophysicist' instead of 'astronomer' because people tend to confuse astronomy with astrology. much like if I said I wanted to become a 'cosmologist' people would automatically assume I meant a 'cosmetologist'. (although in most situations they are interchangeable so I guess I didn't really need to clarify!)

what I did say was that I was not interested in physics itself, in other words, physics alone does not fascinate me. I'm not looking forward to having to study exclusively in a physics undergraduate program. I like it when it's being applied to the universe, when it's helping me to learn and (somewhat) understand it. I like spending my nights outside with a telescope, or creating sky charts, not inside reading the general theory of relativity. what I love is astronomy, which is in essence, the science of everything - not just physics.