View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM       
Oh, yes, that fucking sucks.

Back when I had to get a REAL PDR every year, before it was online, we would have professors once in a while who actually expected us to lug the stupid thing around.

The art book that Kahl was asking about a few years ago, that prof was on faculty at the Art Institute and wanted to give all her lectures there, so we had to carry the damned thing all the way downtown in Chicago on the train. And then half the time she wouldn't even refer to it.

I hated the ones where the professors would have a stupid packet of xeroxed essays or something in a report binder and the bookstore would charge you the same as a textbook for it. That was ridiculous.

Trying to sell books back was a joke, too. The returns policy at the beginning of each semester was that you had to return the book in the first week for a full refund and before the end of the second week for a partial, and after that you were shit out of luck. I had several classes where the professor (either innocently or deliberately, I was never sure) couldn't make up his mind for three weeks whether you needed the book or not. By that time, it was too late to return it, but someone was waiting for you at the buyback table. $2 for a book you paid $175 for a week before. Fuck that.

This was 1998, by the way, so the ebay/craigslist/torrent route wasn't as viable then.

Fuck I'm old