View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Is it a front panel or the mobo that you're having trouble with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
I have tried all 4 of the onboard USB ports in the back and both of the USB ports connected through the front.
MM, where can I get an Ubuntu live CD? I'm terrible with linux.

Also, this computer is not even 6 months old and I built it from brand new parts from Newegg. I just don't understand why the USB controller would suddenly get ganon'd out of nowhere.

If I were to stick a PCI card full of USB slots in there, would that work? Or does the USB controller control those ports, too?

And here's the advice an electrical engineering friend sent me on aim:

Quote:
SMbus isn't related to USB... it's another internal bus, usually used for temperature sensors and such on motherboards.

Might be worth trying an external USB card... it's not 100% impossible that all the USB ports got hosed somehow, though I'd love to know how.

Since the power supply is generally handled by external chips, that might explain why most devices still power on.

The liveCD option is probably a good one, too, though you'd probably need to be used to Linux to know what you're looking for.