View Single Post
testtube is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:09 PM       
I never knew Battlefield Earth would have a such a lasting impact on the sci-fi genre. Every single fucking shot in this movie was at a canted angle with lens flare blinding everything, the other view is the camera shaking around to where you can't even tell what the fuck is going on. I never got out to see many summer blockbusters after the first Matrix so maybe I'm behind the times despite being the target audience age, I fucking cannot stand 2 second cut scenes of 700 CGI sprites flinging across the screen while the camera is sitting on a paint mixer. It really sucks, its not EXXXTREEEEME or IN-10-NSE it just makes me wish that stupid fucking style never caught on, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

That aside this was a damn great Star Trek movie. I like watching an episode of the classic series like once every 5 years or so and I remember seeing the classic films a bunch when I was a kid and past that the other spinoffs suck ass and Trekkies are fucking pathetic. This movie is full of raw sexy nubile flesh, attractive faces, no wonder fat endowed Trekkies hate it so much, barely qualifying as humans themselves, I think its hilarious their last refuge from reality has been tainted by the lean buttocks of mass appeal. It seems everything imaginable in a summer blockbuster was tried and parts of this movie come off as really generic, going through a familiar exercises in making sure it resembles the trailers for UP and Transformers Again shown beforehand. The humor with the bloated hands, or Scotty getting sucked humorously through some water pipes in the engine room, the part where some big monster chases Kirk on Hoth, it could have been any movie at that point. The action really slowed the movie down for me, becoming another generic process of A-B-C mind on hold flick making, there was nothing special about it. Maybe making the action a bit slower but focusing on more surreal aspects of, maybe even basking in some silence more, making them a bit more eerie would change things up. This movie just wanted to please everyone and I can't fault it for that.

I think this is the only movie I've seen so far this year in a theater and its damn good. The new cast is all good, I look forward to a sequel now that the set up is out of the way. I hope they make a damn movie finally living up to the fucking speech made on all the episodes and actually show them discovering shit, weird shit, instead of just a bunch of action plot oriented flicks. Yeah you know that won't happen...